… and not so much in a "be enraptured by my tales of adventure" kind of way, inasmuch as a Chinese-curse kind of way.
Sitting in my truck right now, some in the passenger seat and some in the bed, I have the following items:
- Climbing shoes (La Sportiva Barracudas), harness, chalk bag, carabiners, and various other accoutrement
- SCUBA tank, BCD, weight system, fins, snorkel, etc., etc., etc.
- Gloves and a helmet left over from my last cycling excursion
- Ticket stub and photos from my trip to Mexico City and the nearby Aztec pyramids
- Flight and travel itineraries for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica, the surrounding rainforest, islands, etc.
- A laptop computer with the first thirty pages of the second half of my book
- Photos of me and my wife with orangutans, chimpanzees, kinkajous, coatimundi, servals, and even Nigerian dwarf goats.
- Registration paperwork for the upcoming term at school, where I’m going back to get another degree (technically, an AS then a BS, which is a bit weird, but it’s a long story)
- A certificate from the skydiving trip last year (but I have no idea why it’s still in my truck)
I mean, dude.
When did I become this person? How?
If you had told me ten years ago that I would be kind of person that would be in possession of these kinds of things, I would have asked you who I was carrying them around for. Seriously. I don’t know the particulars of the transition, but I have somehow become much cooler than I was in my early twenties.
It’s really, really freakish when I step back and think about it. I am not that interesting. I’m just a web geek with aspirations of becoming a half-decent writer. That’s it.