I’ve made a short (2-minute) screencast that shows how to do title pages without page numbers and how to reset/restart page numbers in OpenOffice.org writer.
- In your document, set the title page (and copyright page or whatever pages you do not want to have page numbers) to a page style that doesn’t have numbers, such as First Page. To do this:
- Put the cursor on the correct page.
- Open up the Styles and Formatting window. You can click the icon (page with a finger pointing towards the top) or open the menu: Format then Styles and Formatting.
- Click the Page Styles icon, which is fourth from the left at the top.
- Double-click the First Page style to apply that page style to the current page.
- Insert a manual page break, via the Insert then Manual Break menu items.
- On the Insert Break window, select the Page Break option, then use the Style dropdown list to choose the Default style.
- Click OK to close the window and insert the break.
- Add the page numbering footer.
- Use the Insert, then Footer, then Default menus to add a footer to the pages with the Default style.
- Select the footer by clicking inside the outlined box at the bottom of the page.
- Insert a page number using the Insert, then Fields, then Page Number menus.
- You can now scroll back to the first page and see that it should not have a page number, while any pages after will have page numbers.
- If you want to reset or restart the page numbering with a specific page number, perform Step 3 with one addition, this time checking the Change Page Number box in the Insert Break window and choosing the correct new starting page number from the spin box below it.