I just got back from a run. Yeah, this one was an actual run, and not just a jog. I did 4.5 miles in 47 minutes, for a 10:42/mi pace. Nothing earth-shattering, and close enough to my regular pace as to be unsurprising, right?

But tonight I did interval runs. I did 90 seconds of flat-out running, followed by 120 seconds of walking. The math works out that for each mile, approximately 35% of it was walking at a 3.5mph or 17:09/mi pace. The other 65% of each mile was done at 8.7mph or 6:55/mi pace.

And I freakin’ hurt.

I’d like to build up my endurance to the point that I am doing 90 seconds of running and 120 seconds of 5.1mph jogging, never breaking down to a walk. If I can do that my average speed goes up to 6.6mph or a 9:03/mi pace. I’d certainly be happy with a 99 second improvement in my pace time.

Categorized as Fitness

By Rick Osborne

I am a web geek who has been doing this sort of thing entirely too long. I rant, I muse, I whine. That is, I am not at all atypical for my breed.